Irish Links
Work Permits for Ireland












Moving to Ireland

All non EU/EEA citizens coming to work in Ireland need an employment permit before starting a job here.
There are Green Card permits for all jobs with salaries over 60000 euro. Green cards are also available for certain job categories paying over 30000 euro.

For all the other jobs - a "normal" Work Permit (Employment Permit) has to be applied for.

A Work Permit (Employment Permit) is an employment permit issued to the employee, which permits his or her employment in Ireland by the employer in the occupation specified on the permit. Work Permit Employment Permits assume all occupations to be eligible unless otherwise specified. Therefore, all occupations are eligible unless excluded under the list of Ineligible Categories of Employment for Employment Permits. (See Below).

Salaries need to be over €30000 to be eligible . New for 2013 - Except for For IT graduates of foreign colleges and for technical or sales support roles with non-EEA language requirements, the remuneration threshold is €27k.

Work Permit Employment Permits are issued for an initial period of two years and can then be renewed for up to a further three years. After five years, the applicant may apply to Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service for long term residency.

Labour Market Needs Test : The job must be advertised ith the Department of Social Protection’s employment services for 2 weeks and in a national newspaper for 3 days. Also the job has to be advertised in a local newspaper or on a job website for 3 days.

Qualifications : The foreign-national concerned must posses the relevant qualifications, skills or experience that are required for the employment.

Work Permit Fees The fees for a Work Permit, which must be paid by the applicant, are as follows:
€500 - Period up to 6 months
€1,000 - Period from 6 months to 2 years
Renewal - €1,500 - Period up to 3 years or €759 for under 6 months.

Useful Address: Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Room 105, Davitt House, 65a Adelaide Road, Dublin 2 (telephone 6313308 or 6313333);

Ineligible Job Categories for Work Permits

All Clerical and Administrative Positions
All General Operatives/Labourers
All Operator and Production
All Domestic Workers (including Carers in the Home and Childminders)
All Work Riders (Horse Racing)
All retail sales vacancies and sales representatives,
All drivers (excluding HGV)
Nursery / Crèche Workers , Child Minders / Nannys
All 'Hotel Tourism and Catering' except chefs
Bookbinder, Bricklayer, Cabinet Maker, Carpenter / Joiner , Carton Maker, Fitter - Construction Plant, Electrician, Instrumentation Craftsperson ,Tiler - Floor / Wall, Mechanic - Heavy Vehicles, Instrumentation Craftsperson Metal Fabricator, Mechanic - Motor, Painter And Decorator, Plumber, Printer. Engineer - Refrigeration Sheet Metal Worker , Tool Maker, Vehicle Body Repairer, Machinist – Wood, Plasterers and Welders

Link to Work Permit Application Form

The information contained in this web site does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information purposes only

Irish Links Information About Living in Ireland